It’s Birth Trauma Awareness Week so this episode I’m speaking with clinical team leader of Gidget Foundation and clinical psychologist Chris Barnes.
With 1/3 women describing their birth experience as traumatic in Australia this topic is one that is so common and needs to be spoken about more.
Chris covers a range of aspects to the topic of birth trauma including:
- How common is birth trauma?
- What are some reasons women experience birth trauma?
- What are some symptoms of birth trauma?
- What is the difference between birth trauma, PTSD and PND (postnatal depression)?
- How does birth trauma effect a woman’s life and relationships
- How to process a birth that didn’t go as planned
- Tips on how to recover from birth trauma
- Steps for how to prepare for a subsequent labour and birth following a traumatic experience
- How common is birth trauma for partners/dads?
- How can we support and care for friends/partners who’ve experienced birth trauma?
Resources Chris shared for those experiencing birth trauma:
- Gidget Foundation https://gidgetfoundation.org.au/
- Birth trauma https://www.birthtrauma.org.au/
- PANDA helpline 1300 726 306
- Australian birth trauma association FB group https://www.facebook.com/birthtrauma.org.au/
- Centre of perinatal excellence COPE Melbourne https://www.cope.org.au/
Art by @aolanow