Vaccinations are something that every parent needs to know about but it seems to be a topic that people shy away from talking about due to strong feelings on both sides. It’s kind of like politics or religion… immunisations… So of course it’s a topic to unpack and be informed about!
This episode I interview Dr Preeya Alexander, a GP and mum based in Melbourne and we discuss all things vaccinations.
Questions we cover include:
- What is a vaccination and why are they important?
- What is the difference between a live and non-live vaccine?
- What vaccinations are recommended in pregnancy?
- Why is it important for pregnant women to be vaccinated?
- Why should young children be vaccinated?
- What vaccinations are recommended for children in the first few years?
- What are some side effects that can occur following an immunisation and how can we manage them?
- Does having a vaccination lower a person’s immunity for a time?
- Should you put off having a scheduled vaccine if your child is sick?
- Do vaccines contain harmful chemicals?
- Can a live vaccine spread or be contagious?
- Are immunisations linked to autism?
- Why do we now have a chickenpox vaccination?
- What is heard immunity?
- How should we prepare our children for their vaccinations – looking at diet and how to speak to our kids about it.
- Can vaccines be replaced by natural or herbal remedies?
Make sure you listen along as Preeya really clearly answers these questions and more.
To connect with me follow along @mumwillknow on IG and FB and to follow Dr Preeya, find her on IG @thewholesomedoctor.
Photo by @birthwithbeth_